On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Hans wrote:

But what will you do, if the singer comes in too early or too late ???? Oooops !! I still count every measure during Rosenkavalier done over 200times & Elektra (same), just for safety. The singer cues are just to
confirm things.

It is different every time - depends partly on the conductor. Some try to lay down the law - and then instead of the orchestra being able to jump a bar ahead or behind immediately to get with the singer, we are out of sync for maybe 8 bars or more while the conductor tries frantically to signal the *singer* to make the correction. It would seem that that is the right approach - that one person can fix the problem instead of an entire orchestra, but that seems to be the chancier of the two approaches. There have been a few conductors though who, knowing that we were dealing with a wild singer, demonstrated to the orchestra beforehand their signals when to jump ahead or behind in case of emergency. That generally worked well, but sometimes the orchestrati play mechanically and can't/won't make the jump. In short, when a singer comes in too early or too late, it is not completely clear where we are at that moment. There is no 'where', only a competition for dominance, and we hope - to put it mildly - that we all get back together again fast and smoothly.

But back to the point - I didn't mean that writing in word cues gives me permission to sleep on the job. I do try to stay awake until the cast party.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }