Though it does have great horn parts, I'm not a big fan of Hanson's symphony. However, have to admit it was used to very good effect at the end of the movie, "Alien" (the first one, from the late 70's).

Fred

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Tedesco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Horn List" <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Howard Hanson Symphony #2- Romantic

This work has some great horn parts! For those of us on a budget, I picked up a double disc recording of the 2nd symphony and 7th along with a smaller work or two if I'm not mistaken on Delos with Seattle. It's nice to hear modern
romanticism without  being derivative or cheesy, at least IMHO.

Chris

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Being outside US (Japan), I knew and have been loving this particular
symphony for decades. I don't think it is merely an epigone of some
Austro-German romanticism. Rather, it does sound distinctively American
(maybe with a hint of Scandinavian flavor). Each time I listen to it,
I feel as if my soul has been purified.

My favorite recording, along with the composer's own, is Slatkin / St.
Louis SO (EMI) which should still be readily available through Amazon etc.

JY

----- Original Message ----- Á÷¿®¼Ô: Paul Rincon<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
°¸Àè: horn@music.memphis.edu
ÆüÉÕ:Monday, December, 26, 2005, 10:35 PM
·ï̾: Re: [Hornlist] Howard Hanson Symphony #2- Romantic