I believe it was Indiana Universitie's Myron Bloom who worked in France
(Orchestre de Paris) and attempted to make the French adopt the big Conn 8-D
horns and sound concept. Before Myron Bloom entered the scen; it was common
to see ascending horns and hear a much more 'nationalistic' sound. Now (like
in many other places), one hears only the same sound (few exceptions,
Vienna, Russian Orchestras, some Eastern European orchestras....)

Paul Rincon