I don't believe that anyone in the Vienna Philharmonic uses a triple horn. A
double horn; perhaps for the extreme pieces such as Sinfonia Domestica and
such maybe. Hans would know. I DO know that Gottfried von Freiberg played a
Paxman F/F-Alto descant on the last recording he made (Midsummer Night's
Dream) with Pierre Monteaux. He also used the same horn for a recording of
the Weber Concertino.

I have also heard of Wolfgang Tomboeck using an Alex F/F-alto when
performing long call in concert. However, for the most part; the single F
Pumpenhorn is the most widely used instrument in the Vienna Philharmonic.
Also, in the Vienna philharmonic; Viennese oboes, rotary trumpets, and goat
skin timpani are used - all of that comes together to form the sound that we
know and love from the VPO.

Paul Rincon