I recorded the show and finally had a chance to watch.  This was  a great
concert!  It is always wonderful to hear how great musicians  respond and
produce
when given strong, knowledgable leadership.   One of the greatest things
about the Vienna Philharmonic is the perfect  balance.  You just don't hear
this
many places, including some other  so-called "greatest" orchestras.  The brass
are never blaring, always a  nice sound, like the horns.  Percussion is
phenominal!  Ever see a  snare drummer in the US (or anywhere) play like
chamber
music?  Did you see  the tympanist's and bass drummer's elegant touch and hear
the warm, supportive  sound?  Do you see anyone wearing earplugs, even those
sitting directly in  front of brass and drums?  Everyone here now has to wear
them or go  deaf.  You can't play your best with ear plugs.  That is the main
reason I "retired" early. Most conductors don't have a clue.  If  anything,
they
encourage louder playing from all as the idiots equate volume  with
excitement.  If you have no ideas, or if you do have one or two and  can't
express it,
or just say the same crap over and over again, just tell  the musiciants to
play louder!  That will get the audience to clap and  maybe even contribute
money, all 1/4 or 1/3 of the house of them!  Many US orchestras now are closer
in
sound to DCI or a heavy  metal band than to real symphony sound.  My advice to
those of  you who play, keep earplugs handy at all time and use them!

Our "business" has seen it's best days, I'm afraid, in the US.  Long  live
the Vienna Philharmonic!

KB

Prof. Hans P. wrote:

New Year  Concert 2006:
It was one of the three or four best New Year Concerts  I
listened to (von Karajan & Harnoncourt & Kleiber  perhaps).
Thzey told me they rehearsed very hard with Mariss  Jansons,
even their most familiar pieces. But the orchestra sounded
most  NOBLE. It was very different to other years as it was
not a fun or joyous  concert but a very serious concert with
highest spirit & extreme fine  playing by all groups.