Good luck. Much information that you would seek got destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. (I assume you refer to Western style Brass instruments judging from your reference to the film. Much documentation exists on indigenous or ethnic lip-blown aerophones) You will almost certainly find nothing written or documented, even in personal diaries, on the subject you have chosen although you may run across expatriates that may recollect useful tidbits and stories. You ought to consider contacting the Horn teachers at the major conservatories in China whereby those that speak English can tell what they know from what got handed down by word of mouth. You must choose your questions very carefully when inquiring about Chinese history in the 20th Century as it has a propensity for revisionism.

I seem to remember the Canadian Brass and the Boston Symphony having forays into China during the 1970's. Perhaps some members from those touring groups can offer tiny clues for you as to the status and training of brass playing in China during the 1970s and 80s. And, as you seem to know, Doug Hill as well. I also expect Hans Pizka to pipe in even as I reply at this very second since he has visited China numerous times as a performer and instructor and certainly has plenty to say on anything he has had personal involvement with.

You will need to address China accordingly to their political phases in the 20th Century as that has a particularly profound influence upon the arts and education. No doubt the English had a primary influence in the southern areas while the Russians and Japanese influenced the north. Germans had an influence as well prior to the Boxer Rebellion but I have never heard of their cultural influence upon China save Christian Missionaries. You have a very interesting subject but expect many dead ends and red herrings. Historical research on the influence of western culture on China flies in the face of the most recent trend in research that would prove that everything from discovering the American continent to constructing flush toilets happened first in China then spread to the rest of the world; your topic has an undercurrent that goes against this recent paradigm in publications concerning China. Brace yourself.

Karl Kemm
Assistant Professor of Horn and Humanities
Del Mar College
361 698-1601 [o] 940 300-3131 [m]
http://www.delmar.edu/music/kemm.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED]