This brings ups some interesting questions that I have had for a while
now.  As one who has taught both in the US and in Europe, I must say
that the system of solfege, clef reading, and ear training that formed
the basis of musicianship for my European students was FAR superior that
that which most young musicians get in the United States.  I have not
reconciled the concept of fixed or movable "Do" in my mind, and although
I prefer fixed, I have heard compelling arguments from Hungarian trained
musicians for movable.  This brings to mind the concept of the
transpositions required for horn, and I often wonder (despite the fact
that the valveless horn had a specific fundamental pitch) why composers
chose not to write the actual pitches in the parts, but chose to employ
a sort of "movable do" concept in a mostly fixed do world.  Why do we
have the confusion (mild though it is) of having some Bb instruments
read in concert and others read transposed.

I come from a musical family, but most of us didn't get good solfege
training until conservatory.  Despite my fine training and experience as
a teaching fellow in the ear training dept. at a major conservatory, I
was completely humbled by the level of skill (surpassing my own) of my
young students when I taught in Italy.  What has happened to musical
training in the U.S., or, was it ever closer to the "European" school?
Too many students relate a written pitch with a button on the piano
before they "hear" the sound.  Doesn't it make more sense to imagine the
sound first?  I had two horn students, actually young professionals who
were the sons of the principal horn player of a full time professional
orchestra in Italy.  Both students had extensive solfege training prior
to ever touching the instrument.  Their understanding of music was
exceptional, and their facility regarding applying the written note to
the correct sound of the horn no matter what key was well beyond that of
my finest students in the U.S.  Nevertheless, much of the finest playing
I have heard has been by American born and trained horn players, who not
always have very good solfege skills.

My experience tells me not to preach absolutes, although I have formed
some strong opinions.  I therefore have little patience for those who
are quick to criticize those whose path to success differs from their
own.  Hans acknowledges this in his recent caveat, and while his shorter
"matter of fact" statements often rub me the wrong way, I think he
explains himself well here, and I cannot disagree.

I would certainly love to read other opinions on the training of very
young musicians, and perhaps some historical perspective from Hans and
others who have been in the business much longer than I.

Orlando