Why learn to transpose?  Well, how many times have you been on a church gig &
moments before the service the Music Minister says, "Oh, by the way, it would
be great if you could play along on the hymns, too - so grab a Hymnal."?  The
trumpet players sometimes reach for their C trumpets, but you, as a horn
player, don't have that option.  The flexibility of being able to transpose on
the spot (often in bass clef) can be the difference between getting called back
& not.  I once got a church gig because & was willing to play the 3rd horn AND
the 3rd trumpet part (not at the same time).  I could have "Finale-d" it, but
that wouldn't have helped on the tune they passed out at the rehearsal.

As a military musician, I see this kind of thing come up all the time.
Sometimes our instrumentation can be flexible, so  you could be called upon to
cover a euphonium or trombone part, or even the occasional alto sax part.  This
can happen at a moment's notice if someone is sick or has an emergency on the
day of a gig.  I once played a brass quartet gig where half the music was
written for trombone.  The great thing is that if I had been sick, one of the
trombone players could have played the gig for me & covered the horn parts,
too.

Every tool you have in your toolbox makes you a more valuable musician, so why
not have as many as possible?

Cathryn Cummings
www.cathryn.cummings.nu/blog