Steve Freides wrote:

Basic facility at the piano ought to be required of every musician,
in my opinion.  It is a requirement at every conservatory and every
university music department I know.  ....

Why?  Many reasons - for one, every instrumentalist ought to be able
to at least schlep through the accompaniment or reduction of the
accompaniment to their soli.  Another good reason is when teaching to
be able to accompany one's students.  The list of reasons is endless.

I remember hearing a story about a university music department which was going to add another very specific requirement to the piano proficiency exam: memorization of piano accompaniment for the song "Happy Birthday."

Apparently a wealthy donor to the music program had a grandson who had just graduated with an undergraduate degree in some wind instrument. She asked her grandson to lead the singing of Happy Birthday at the piano and he was unable to do it. I think the general sentiment was "What were they teaching you the last four years!"

Greg