I am certainly a fan of the amateur player.  My grandfather, an Italian
immigrant and double-shift mill worker was also an amateur clarinetist.
He practiced diligently, if not always intelligently on his instrument
and had chops that could go on for hours.  His education did not go
beyond the sixth grade, and consequently, in order to keep his three
sons from becoming mill workers, encouraged, or perhaps forced them to
play a musical instrument.  He wanted nothing more than to be a major
league clarinetist himself, but had to live vicariously through his
three successful sons, and later, equally successful grandchildren the
majority of whom have a career in music.  Perhaps a better educated man
would have guided his sons toward law or medicine, but music is what he
knew and loved, and deep down most of us in the family are grateful.

At the same time, I have heard our local amateur orchestra butcher some
great repertoire, while acting as if they are second only to the Boston
Symphony.  I myself love to play basketball, but never once believed I
play at any high level, even if I DO sink the occasional three-pointer.
Anytime someone attempts something, it gives them a greater appreciation
for those who do it well.  My only objection comes when our culture
cannot differentiate.  I will never be mistaken for Larry Bird or
Michael Jordan, yet a number of hacks in the music business have been
elevated far beyond that which they deserve.

I appreciate Mr. Cole's insight and honesty, but particularly his
ability to discriminate.