Allow me to add the personal experience of being a sophomore in college and
having to play one of the melodies [there was really more than one, but I
played them one at a time] out of the Kauffman collection for about 6 lessons
in a row.  For those who don't know them, the Kauffman is a collection of 12
famous classical melodies arranged in a near beginner level.   These were the
most musically challenging  pieces I had in my lessons, but I learned more from
them than in many a more "difficult" etude.  I strongly believe that a student
who conquers real and true challenges develops a far stronger "positive self
esteem" than the student who is puffed up by flattery, which translates into
much more progress and real musical accomplishment than not.
  Paxmaha

"Hans.Pizka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Very well said, Francis. Allow me to add something about the wrongdoings of
the teachers. They give them Mozart D-major at the end of the first year &
start with the Strauss one in the late 2nd or early third year to get the kids
stuck for weeks, months or years with these pieces, instead of giving the e.g.
Sawart-Wottawa etudes for beginners, accompanied with piano (very simple).
These are two to four liner etudes
really for beginners. So they can experience some easymusic. And these short
songs of all kind, again accompanied by (easy) piano. These things together
with other goddies for solo horn (Eichborn e.g.) and together with progressive
etudes will develop the skill of these youngsters even fast on the F-Horn &
keep them interested.