But the different challenges at different times & definitely
at the right time when the student is mature enough  (or
grown enough) for the particular task or challenge !!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Jewell
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 9:42 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] start off on an F horn?

Allow me to add the personal experience of being a sophomore
in college and having to play one of the melodies [there was
really more than one, but I played them one at a time] out
of the Kauffman collection for about 6 lessons in a row.
For those who don't know them, the Kauffman is a collection
of 12 famous classical melodies arranged in a near beginner
level.   These were the most musically challenging  pieces I
had in my lessons, but I learned more from them than in many
a more "difficult" etude.  I strongly believe that a student
who conquers real and true challenges develops a far
stronger "positive self esteem" than the student who is
puffed up by flattery, which translates into much more
progress and real musical accomplishment than not.
  Paxmaha

"Hans.Pizka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Very well said, Francis. Allow me to add something about
the wrongdoings of the teachers. They give them Mozart
D-major at the end of the first year & start with the
Strauss one in the late 2nd or early third year to get the
kids stuck for weeks, months or years with these pieces,
instead of giving the e.g. Sawart-Wottawa etudes for
beginners, accompanied with piano (very simple). These are
two to four liner etudes really for beginners. So they can
experience some easymusic. And these short songs of all
kind, again accompanied by (easy) piano. These things
together with other goddies for solo horn (Eichborn e.g.)
and together with progressive etudes will develop the skill
of these youngsters even fast on the F-Horn & keep them
interested.