When Tony Clemens, tubist with the San Jose Symphony left his bass trombone position in the San Jose Wind Symphony, they couldn't immediately find a player qualified to take over. Being the very start of the season, my son, just 13, was allowed to cover. By the time they found an adult to play, just before the first scheduled performance, my son outright won the spot in audition. I hope you and your son get as much enjoyment from playing together.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Freides <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 'The Horn List' <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:19:07 -0500
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Arrangement of Mozart Concerti for Band

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

-good stuff snipped -

My experience with
talented young performers is the higher you let them raise
the standards, the higher they push them.

I had a funny experience with my son this week along these lines. I'm
playing Rossin's La Gazza Ladra overture arranged for concert band in a
concert Sunday, and I've been practicing a particularly difficult, for me,
passage at rehearsal 25. I jokingly told me son I'd give him $100 if he
could play it at the indicated tempo of 152 to the quarter, figuring it
would simply never happen. He had it ready just a few notches slower within 20 minutes, and the next day he played it perfectly at the required tempo. When I told him I was frankly surprised that he could do it at all, given
that all the music he sees is in simple keys and this is in written Db
major, his response was, "I was so glad to finally have a challenge -
everything I have to play is always so easy."

We're going to get him to play in the community band with me this summer,
earlier if we can schedule it. He's ready for that and likely more.

-S-