I remember reading about some of the Jazz greats really learning to become
"Greats".- Their practice strategy was simple.  Aebersold quotes many a jazz
player with this:  "The truth is, many guys that are out there functioning
today Got Good by Playing for 16 hours a day for about 3 or 4 years straight."

There are many athletes out there that do nothing but lift and run 8 hours a
day.  I remember hearing about a prospective member of the Irish Rowing team
that had a workout schedule of 12 hours a day everyday to reach the Irish
National team.

Of course you have to be careful about what you practice and you have to know
your limitations; but if horn playing is your passion and you want to go
somewhere with it you have to practice.  People only have so much natural
talent, once you hit a point where that is exposed and exhausted you have to
practice or train both endurance wise and muscle memory wise to obtain
perfection.  Horn playing is not easy to start with- it becomes easy through
lots of hard work and practice.  Blood sweat and tears.

I'd Suggest playing for 4 hours a day for about a month and see where you are.
You'd be very suprised!!

Joshua Johnson
Unemployed College Student that hasn't yet won a job
University of Northern Iowa