Dear List:

How does one define greatness?  Certainly accuracy and intonation are near
the top of the list.  But I'm sure many of you have heard in tune and
accurate performances that left you flat (so to speak).  There must be
something else; something special.  We often call it musicality, or
musicianship.  Well, yesterday I heard a great horn player give a great
performance.

Andrew Pelletier, the new (about 2 years) horn professor at Bowling Green
State University performed the Strauss Concerto No. 1 with that schools
Philharmonia Sunday afternoon March 26.  Andrew, if you've not heard of him,
hails from Maine (I do believe) and received his doctorate at USC.  While in
LA, he did some film and studio work, played principal in Santa Barbara, won
two first prizes in the American Horn Competition - both University and
Professional divisions, and, oh yes, won a Grammy award last year.

We all know the Strauss.  In my opinion, it's too often played by young
players who would do better to go back to Getchell and Kopprasch.  But
yesterday, a master played that quite familiar work.  I do hope that all of
you will take the next opportunity to hear Andrew perform live.  He'll be at
more IHS conventions in the future (he was at last summer's Alabama
convention) and perhaps even coming to an orchestra concert near you.

It's a funny thing about greatness - there is always room at the top.  There
is no one greatest player of anything, whether it's basketball (all the rage
in the US right now), or music.  In my opinion, whoever we think of as the
best at playing the horn (many names, I'm sure), Andrew belongs right up
there with them.

Bravo Andrew!  You are a master of the craft and it's a pleasure to know
you, work with you, and witness your performances.

Sandra Clark
Toledo Symphony
Co-Principal Horn