Hello -

        As this is my first time posting to the hornlist (though I
have been reading for quite some time), I figure I ought to introduce
myself.  My name is Ben Reidhead, and I am currently a high school
junior.  I have been playing horn for nearly 6 years now, and I my
current horn is an Atkinson A800 detachable bell horn (a yellow brass,
nickle-plated, Kruspe wrap horn with a bell size in-between that of a
Holton 179 and 177) with a Giardinelli C8 mouthpiece.

        I love my horn, and how it plays with the C8 mouthpiece except
for one issue: any note above written second-line g to one octave above
fingered T, T2, or T1 (my horn stands in F) lacks a "core" to the sound
when played at a FF or FFF volume and is not nearly as resistant as
any other nearby notes; it sounds like a sock has been stuffed in my
bell, and feels like the horn gets a lot freer-blowing on those notes.
This problem is especially noticable on written 4th space E, 5th line
F, and the G at the top of the staff; it is almost impossible for me to
get any sort of brassiness or edge to the sound, and the sound is
almost hollow. The only way I can get any brassiness is to press quite
hard, and having fough the too-much-pressure battle already, I don't
want to go back to the dark side!!

        I have experimented with firmer corners, more air, etc. and
none of those seem to really affect my sound on those problem notes.  I
don't believe that it is an embochure (spelling?) issue, as my private
teacher (yes, I have discussed this with him) and a prominent New York
hornist (who I managed to get a lesson with while there two weeks ago!)
both like my current setup.  This has led me to believe it is an
equipment issue.  If anyone could offer any (relatively cheap)
suggestions as to how to fix this issue, that would be great!

Thank you in advance,

Ben

Benjamin Reidhead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Poudre School District, Ft. Collins, Co.

"No opera plot can be sensible,
for people do not sing when
they are feeling sensible."

W. H. Auden (1907 - 1973)