I know of 2 trumpet players who have blacked out and had their piccs written off whilst performing Arrival of The Queen of Sheba.

From: Benjamin Reidhead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Horn List <horn@music.memphis.edu>
CC: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: Pressure NHR sort of not NHR: one can choose:
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:31:39 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

My music teacher told a story where the trumpet soloist of
Bach's (3rd? I can't remember) Brandenburg concerto (the
one with the really high trumpet writing) died of a brain
hemmorage after the 3rd performance of it.  Another
reasont to stick with horn...
Ben

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:26:07 +0000 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Hornfolks:
> I do have another 'suggestion' post on the 'pressure question' but I do wish to relate something I saw on a bulletin board during a music theatre gig.
>
> It related (quite horribly and graphically) the story of a 'screech' trumpet player who enjoyed a long career until one day, during performance of a jazz work; he hit a particularly high note and one side of his head actually exploded outward from the pressure, killing him instantly. (No, I don't think anyone caught his horn for him)
>
> Now, this was NOT in the National Enquirer, nor in the Star, but in the Mercury News; so I sort of took it seriously and thought of this for a time, but then forgot about it. I still do not know if it truly happened to the poor guy but I am nothing if not cautious with my own high playing.
>
> I have known quite a few screech trumpet players (and still play gigs with some) but none of them; despite playing in the stratosphere, ever have had this happen although a few individuals (because of throat closure or some kind of back pressure) turned beet red (and all this applies to hornplaying as well). If you should witness a colleague turning beet red while playing; this is an indication that something is being done incorrectly where back pressure is concerned. It is the road to either a stroke or heart attack or perhaps both and I have met unfortunate folks this has happened to (they either no longer play or play at a greatly reduced capacity).
>
> Advising them on their 'condition'. I can give no suggestion; it depends upon your particular relationship with that person.
>
> Rachel Harvey

Benjamin Reidhead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Poudre School District, Ft. Collins, Co.

"No opera plot can be sensible,
for people do not sing when
they are feeling sensible."

W. H. Auden (1907 - 1973)