Similarly, I have heard about a clarinet player who didn't think he needed
to know about anything prior to the classical era, because his instrument
wasn't invented until then....

--Susan Thompson

Steve Mumford wrote
    It used to be popular among many of my classmates to say "I don't need
to learn theory, I'm a performance major".  It's easy to pick that kind of
person out by the way they play.

Dave wrote:

We spend several hours a day doing harmonic and formal analysis of=
everything from Bach chorals and cello suites to Wagner opera and roman=
tic symphonies -next year is 20th century harmony and analysis- in addit=
ion to a lot of 4-part embellished choral writing, and arranging things =
for various instrumentation.