Hornfolks:

Well if a high AB (written) were to be so deadly as to kill a horn player; I
seriously have my doubts as to that being the cause of the poor guys'demise
(and I have done that work before).  Not being an MD; I will not offer even an
'opinion' on this list.

At least let us examine all of the other works that have even higher (and
longer notes) written in (a good example would be the 1st horn part of the Rite
of Spring with its sequence of loud high A's).  And good old Mahler 1 with its
75 final bars of high A's on down.

I once had to play a John Adams Piece entitled 'The Chairman Dances' (named
after Chairman Mao); lovely piece; full of hemiolas; but in one point, the 1st
horn must do half a page of high A's and do them in random syncopation. Lots of
fun.....

I estimate that we hornists perhaps would need to be 'athletes' to some extent;
the more the better, as the entire body is put 'into play' when doing horn
work.  I know that after a hard concert that I am completely exhausted; and
that does not include my chops.

that's all for now.

Rachel