From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Benjamin Reidhead
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:20 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Mute intonation

Hello -
        With my recent purchase of an 8D to replace my
Atkinson, I have run across an unexpected problem.  Whereas
before muted horn was perfectly in tune (on the medium bell
Atkinson), muted horn on the 8D is now quite sharp (20-30
cents).  I currently use a large Ion Balu mute (which is
supposed to match larger bell horns) with thicker corks.
Would the thicker corks be causing the intonation issue?
How can I lower the pitch of the mute?
Ben

Benjamin Reidhead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Poudre School District, Ft. Collins, Co.

"No opera plot can be sensible,
for people do not sing when
they are feeling sensible."

W. H. Auden (1907 - 1973)