Hornplayers & other musicians tend to develop a certain
habit & get fixed on that. What has that to do with the
slides ? Yes, it has to do with this, as hornplayers get
used to their lipping up or down according to their first
instrument & when they have not developed the right skill
either to hit the notes on the place where they are located
nor the skill to tune them right by use of the right hand.
Many of them get hardship regarding storing the placement of
the different natural pitches of the horn into their memory
instantly. More than that, many hornplayers seem to have
difficulties to remember the right position of the
(doublehorn) six to eight slides, a very simple task indeed,
but seemingly too difficult for many players, some
professionals included.

As a consequence of this deficit in knowledge, they hit the
notes at the wrong position either too sharp or too low,
according to their hammered-in habit. Well, this is the
cause, why they position the slides differently. The tumb
rule is it, first slide out for 12mm, second for 9-10mm,
third for a bit more than 12mm, all speaking for the F-side;
the Bb-slides out a bit less. If the main tuning slide is
out longer than usual, all slides must be out a bit more.

Slides pushing full in before laying the horn aside for a
while, yes, I recommend this also. Readjusting them is very
simple. But I can confirm what Daniel said below.

Lipping up or down is quite dangerous for not so experienced
horn players, special late beginners, as it might ruin the
development of the embouchure. "hand tuning down" or "hand
tuning up" (open the bell hand wider than usual) is very
easy & not counterproductive to the embouchure.