Hans Pizka wrote:

-snip-

> Lipping up or down is quite dangerous for not so experienced
> horn players, special late beginners, as it might ruin the
> development of the embouchure. "hand tuning down" or "hand
> tuning up" (open the bell hand wider than usual) is very easy
> & not counterproductive to the embouchure.

Yes, this describes me, and it's something I am now very aware of. I do my
best to try and focus on _not_ lipping things when I practice, but I confess
it is very difficult.

For example, I am still getting used to the amount of air playing the horn
requires - I am well able to provide sufficient air, but horn playing wants
more air than singing does, at least for me, and I have been supplying air
to make music as a singer for decades.  Insufficient air also changes pitch,
so sorting out what exactly is the current situation - am I giving enough
air, or perhaps am I not giving enough air but lipping the pitch up, or am I
forcing too much air and lipping the pitch down - is something that requires
great vigilance in practice.

All this reminds me of stories of singers who lived with their teachers and
did all their singing under supervision.  Such a situation would benefit my
late beginner horn playing now.  Hans, have a spare room for me? :)

-S-