When I was a kid I used to spend hours writing out horn parts from the
minitaure scores I could find in the town library (I still have most of them
somewhere).

Shostakovich parts are difficult to get hold of nowadays because of the
copyright problems - one of the players in my youth orchestra managed to
lose/destroy/eat the 2nd clarinet part from our local music library and it was
the
devil's own job to get a replacement.

For non-copyright music (and some copyright music), many of the publishers
(Kalmus etc, B+H etc) will provide single parts  if you ask them and pay  the
requisite fee.

Of course one of the benefits of working from a full score is that you get
to see what it going on around your part, something you cannot always
appreciate  from looking at a single sheet.

All the best,

Lawrence