My horn teacher leant me a couple of recordings made by Dennis Brain.  One
was a compilation of performances and interviews of Brian and his friends.
It included a BBC lecture he gave on the horn utilizing several different
horns, including his demonstration of the common garden hose.

It really was a humbling moment.  I read with interest all the latest
improvements, the newest lead pipe, most modern mouth piece all not unlike a
holy grail for the amateur horn player, then I listen to Brain player some
horn music on the common garden hose and am reminded why I remain an
amateur.