Kim

If it's of any help, I just came back from a flight on which I brought a
horn with me into the cabin. I flew on a Lufthansa Airbus 340 and was
allowed to bring the horn into the cabin and it fit into the middle overhead
compartment quite comfortably. On a Boeing 737 flight, the case wouldn't fit
into the above and had to be put inbetween seats. However, this was on a
sparse Air Namibia flight where they were quite relaxed.

The horn case is the standard for a non-detachable bell.

Good luck!

Kerri

>From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [Hornlist] Gig Bag
>quick recommendations for a gig bag to take on an airplane?
>Holton cut bell case

Hi Kim-
When I bought my (Holton)Millennium Merker in 2000, it came with a
square hard case that had been especially measured & designed to fit
into one of those airplane 'measuring devices' (or whatever)
that all airports have these days.

fyi: the horn has a cut bell.  The inside of the
case is shaped in such a manner that the horn rests in what I would
call a 'cater-corner' configuration-the bell on one side, the horn
and mouthpiece on the other; and it is an extremely durable
piece of work.

I have not been on a plane for a very long time, and when I
was on a plane, the horn did not go along-therefore I am unable
to provide you with a subjective opinion.  I can only trust
the word of the case designer-one Peter Piorkowski (did I get
that name right?)-that this case will fit on the overhead inside
the plane.

Peter may or may not be on this list, or perhaps on David's horn list-
but at the time I bought the horn, he was still checking with
hornists to see how they liked his new case design.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

best wishes
Rachel Harvey

Kerri Bridges
Tamboerskloof