Is there any edition of the "Norma"-score available on the
web? I have problems reading off paper, but I have some well
lit large computer screens.

Klaus, try http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/scores/bah4585/ large/index.html

For those who don't know this resource, the friendly library sprites at Indiana U. have given us quite a few opera and symphonic full scores, all scrollable online. Highlights include Strauss' "Ariadne," Wagner's "Lohengrin," "Tristan" and "Parsifal," " Weber's "Freischuetz," seven Bruckner symphonies, Beethoven, Brahms and quite a bit more that's horn oriented (as well as plenty of other good music).

Afterwards I recommend a stop at UC Santa Barbara's http:// cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/

Here over 6,000 early cylinder recordings are on offer as MP3s or 24- bit WAV files. Finding pieces of interest to hornists takes a bit of looking, and there are disappointments like the 1911 Alice Guszalewicz rendition of "Komm, Hoffnung" from "Fidelio" -- a band version where the obbligato horn trio is replaced by clarinets. But Gustav Heim and the Waldhorn Quartet's "Post in the Forest" is there in 24-bit quality, as are three salon pieces by our very own Henri Kling. Also hard to resist are Charlus' "La leçon de cor" (ignore the cor-substitute) and the 1903 ditty "Waiting for the Dinner Horn to Blow."

Bill Melton
Hauset (B) / Sinfonie Orchester Aachen