I am eternally grateful towards people making resources available on the web,
and I am no less
grateful towards those helping me finding these resources.

I have read the overture and the second act, because the score tells me a whole
lot about period
scoring practises in Italy. I did not find the odd notation mentioned by Hans.
It still may be
there in the score, but I rather suspect an error by the guy, who engraved the
parts.

Bellini has been said to score lightly. Bizet has been said to try to
re-orchestrate Norma for a
fatter version, but he gave up upon that project. So I was somewhat surprised,
when I found an ff
opening chord with 3 trombones and a cimbasso.

The Italians must have had instruments with 3 valves in 1831, as the 1st
trumpet in D has a
prominent written Ab in the overture.

What I have seen from the horn parts could be done with advanced hand horn
techniques, but the
transpositions are all over the place with fast changes, so I, like Hans,
assume valve horns.
Everything could be done on a single F with 3 valves.

Hans also is right about the light playing. From my other brass areas I know,
that the Italians
used very small bore instruments. In the 2nd act Bellini comes up with a
quartet of the clarinets
and the 1st pair of horns. "Norma"-lly one would expect the clarinets taking
the 2 top parts, but
Bellini juxtaposes the instruments in a way, which will kill the important 2nd
clarinet harmony
notes, if the first horn does not play with the outmost discretion. If I were
asked to play any of
the horn parts of this opera (which will not happen, even if they are not
really difficult from a
technical point of view), then I rather would bring my 5 valve small bell
single Bb Hoyer rather
than my Conn 28D double.

I could go on ranting about instrumentation issues of this score, but I would
go beyond horn
relevancy.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre