It's interesting that the schedule of repair surcharges is in no way related to actual damage, only to the perceived audacity of the attempt. I find that very few people are the incompetent idiots you portray. I've been teaching people how to take rotors apart for cleaning for many years. Almost anyone can do a good job and the truly incompetent invariably recognize their own weakness. The key to success is to have the right tool at hand. The right screw driver and some cleaning brushes can disassemble most dirty, sticky rotors in minutes. If it won't free up, it will allow determining how serious the problem is and put you on to a repairman trying to run up the bill by telling horror stories.

On the other hand, as long as the horn is going into the shop, take the opportunity to get all the routine work done at the same time so the repairman can put the horn into a condition that will be stable for time to come.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 4:14 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] RE: Pliers? NO NO NO

As you can see from my somewhat overexcited title, one should restrain
oneself from using pliers for any purpose, real or imagined, anywhere on a french horn. If you (think you) have to use pliers to move the valve, it has probably frozen up with corrosion and there's nothing you'll be able to do at home to make it work well enough. Soap? - nope, kerosene?- no dice, valve oil? - forget it, soaking? - useless, pliers? - permanent irrevocable damage. Take it to someone who will do it right and for much less than it will cost to repair
the damage you'll do to it at home.
In my shop the easiest (thus cheapest) repairs are the ones that nobody else has tried to fix. Customer tried to fix it - add 100% to undo customer damage. Bad repairman fixed it wrong way - add 150% to undo. Dad fixed it with vise and
power tools - Would cost way to much to ever get it right again.

- Steve Mumford