Hornfolks

Okay, this may be a bit esoteric for some; but for those who are curious,
please feel free to read on....

I posted a paper on this subject about 8 years ago on the spock list.  I believe
it may be worth revisiting the subject.  If I can locate the original paper, I
will
repost it.  Indeed, there are other doctoral theses addressing this subject.

Question:  How many of you see colours when hearing certain pitches, chords,
or even musical texture? (concert pitches)

Specifically what pitches are seen? (I will not ask for chords)

In my case:
C is beige or white
C Sharp is a dark reddish brown
D FLAT is a yellowish brown
D is brown
D Sharp is brown with some white streaks
E Flat is an umber (burnt yellow)
E is a shiny yellow
F is sky blue
F Sharp is scarlet
G Flat is a dull green
G is brownish green
G Sharp is lime green
A Flat is a pinky red brown
A is dark red
A Sharp is red shot with black
B Flat is black
B is gray
C flat is white with gray

Chords-the colours seen with particular chords are specific but I will
not address this here.

Suffice to say, when I listen to a piece of music, let's say Sibelius for
example,
I am inundated with a wealth of colour in addition to sound and texture.  It is
truly more than just 'hearing the notes' here.  The ending of the last movement
is a spectacular example of colour and texture-as are the whole-tone horn
progressions scattered throughout-and indeed I have used these as the basis
for one of my own compositions.

When I PLAY a piece of music, the emotional context is added to the formula-in
addition to awareness of one's performance, awareness of fellow musicians,
awareness of the conductor, and awareness of the audience and the specific
venue (the stage and the audience area).  These things do not occur
simultaneously, but in pieces.  It only becomes overwhelming when some things
DO occur concurrently-but this is such an ambiguous subject that I cannot say
for sure what is happening at any point in time.

comments are welcome.  flames?  go ahead, make my day......

 --
Rachel