Please, please, please don't rely on Google to find out information
about recording orchestras and horns... There is so MUCH bad information
floating around on the net, it's hard to sort out the good from the band
and the ugly!

If you're looking for a place to ask some genuine questions about
recording acoustic music, please check out Recording.org and look under
their Acoustic Music Forum.  You will find a myriad of professional
musicians roaming about that site offering advice.

My advice for mics would be:

Try them before you buy them.  If the store won't let you do this (or
offer a good return policy), don't deal with that store.  There are
plenty of other good stores out there that will allow you to do this.

When you start talking about microphone choice, it comes down to far
more than just brand.  You must also determine your pick-up pattern (for
example, cardioid, omni, figure 8, etc) as well as your mic placement.
You could have the greatest mics in the world, but if you don't place
them correctly, you will still get horrible sounds.

A good site to learn from would be:

www.dpamicrophones.com
They have a "Microphone University" which explains the various pick-up
patterns and placement options.  (Be aware though, they're in the
business of selling microphones - their microphones to be specific.  And
while DPA microphones are among the best in the world, you don't
necessarily need THEIR mics to do what you see pictured on their pages.)

As for mics which I recommend, I will break them down into rough price
categories -  (BTW - almost all of the mics you'll see listed here are
what are known as small-diaphragm microphones.  Large diaphragm
microphones have a bit more "sex appeal" in the studio, but have little
to no place recording orchestras.  They are often far too colorful.
There are exceptions, but those usually have a very large price-tag.)

Inexpensive (<$500USD per pair)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Rode NT5 (comes as matched pair and sound halfway decent.)
*AT 4040 (cardioid - must use XY, ORTF or NOS for best pickup)
*Studio Projects C4 (cheap matched pair)

Moderate ($500-$1000 USD Pair)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*AT 4051 - available in Cardioid or Omni - full of options
*Josephson C42 MP - VERY nice matched pair of cardioid microphones
*AKG Blueline - available in omni, fig 8, cardioid - a very nice set of
microphones.  Can be found often on EBay for this price point.  I use
these often in recording orchestras as spot microphones or for operatic
vocal pick-up)
*Earthworks - many models available at this price point.  All quite
good, but you need a decent preamp to fully appreciate these.

High to Extremely high-priced ($1000 USD per pair to much, much higher)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Schoeps CMC 6 - MK2 (S or H), MK4, MK21, MK8 - some of my favorite.
Very expensive, but very nice.  I use these as most of my primary mics
for orchestra.  Chances are, if you're in an orchestra which has been
professionally recorded, these mics were used.

*Gefell M296, M295 - Also very nice.  These are my second favorite mics.
Very, very natural and clean.  Very sensitive!

*Gefell M300 - less expensive than the M296 or M295 but VERY nice.
Comparable to the venerable Neumann KM84.

*Sennheiser MKH series - also quite pricey but very nice.  A favorite
(along with Schoeps) of Telarc and other famous recording companies.  I
personally much prefer the accurate sounds of the Schoeps and Gefell to
the "warmer" more "euphoric" sounds of the Sennheisers.

*DPA - Expensive but as accurate as a mic gets.  They also have a new
budget line which falls into the middle category above, but I have yet
to try them so I can't give any recommendations.

*Earthworks - the high-end earthworks mics are quite good, but I would
prefer almost every mic mentioned here so far in comparison.  I find
these to be too clinically accurate and often quite boring.

*Royer - Ribbon mics.  Glorious, warm accurate sound but be prepared to
spend 2 hours setting up your mic to find the right placement.
Otherwise, expect poor recordings (specifically the SF12 and SF24 stereo
ribbon mics.)

For all of you who are microphone savvy and are surprised at my obvious
omission of perhaps the most famous microphone company, Neumann - this
omission was intentional.  I find most of the Neumann microphones of
today to be flawed, overpriced and hyped.  For the REAL Neumann
heritage, check out Gefell mics.  They maintain the original
manufacturing techniques of Herr Neumann himself and not the newer
techniques introduced by Sennheiser since their not too recent purchase.

All of the mics mentioned above are freely available from places such
as:

Sweetwater
Atlas Pro Audio
Mercenary Pro Audio

(I'm not on payroll for any of these companies - they are all just
places from which I've purchased gear and been immensely pleased.)

Hope this helps a little.

Enjoy the addicting habit of recording!

Jeremy

message: 6
date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:52:08 -0400
from: "Steve Freides" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
subject: RE: [Hornlist] Re: Recording

Linda wrote:

> [...]
On Behalf Of Donald J. Ankney

> On Jul 22, 2006, at 10:00 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >>snip
>
> ...That being said, you also have to invest in serious mics
> and especially mic pre-amps to capture that signal.
>
> >>snip
>
> In the light of the recent discussions, I purchased a PMD671
> solid state portable recorder. Now I'm trying to research
> mics but am at a loss. I don't know anything about the
> technologies and am not sure of what specs to look for to
> record in a range of situations--from horn alone to full
> orchestra. I want something that will take me into the next few years.
> It doesn't have to be top of the line, but I'd like something
> better than a starter mic. The recordings will be for
> archival purposes, not to produce CDs. I will upgrade the mic
> later if my needs change.
>
> Is there a resource that boils down the recording
> techno-speak into something that a recording layperson can
> understand?

I just did a Google search on:

microphones for recording classical music

and found quite a bit of interesting reading.  The article on tape.com
talks
about different kinds of microphones and their placements in recording
music.

Selecting brands and models of microphones is no different than
selecting a
french horn - there are many choices, many of which might work for you.
As
with selecting a horn, what you start out with might not be what you
find
you prefer a few weeks/months/years down the road.

In addition, be sure that whatever mikes you get work with your recorder
without requiring addition equipment or that you get that additional
equipment when you get the mikes.  Take your recorder to the store at
which
you buy the mikes if possible.

When I was working part-time and going to undergraduate school
part-time,
one of the things I did to support myself was record student recitals.
found a very simple setup of two omnidirectional microphones placed in
front
of the audience but not too close to the performers worked well to
capture
the feeling of a live performance.  If you're trying to achieve a
"studio
quality" performance, your needs will be different.

A second Google search on:

inexpensive microphones for live recording

found other interesting articles that would be helpful to you, including
one
entitled, "How to buy a microphone for your home studio."

Best of luck to you.

-S-