The Long Call was NOT written for the Viennese F Horn but for any single F-Horn. Leinhos did NOT play the Long Call at the Bayreuth premiere - will check that in my documents after returning from Far East & report the name. Greetings Hans

Hans, you don't seem to recognize support when you get it. You'll find Leinhos and his section listed in the Extra Beilage V of the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik, 43, published in the festival year 1876. But perhaps I can save you some time by quoting a source I know you have in your library. When you get home please look in your own "Dictionary for Hornists" under "Leinhos, Gustav" on page 270 where it reads "first performer of the Long Call at Bayreuth 1876, leading the horn section for the first Ring performances". As for the other, I think the importance of the Viennese F horn sound to the conception of the Siegfried Call is quite clear -- Hans Richter brought his Viennese horn along when he moved in with Wagner while serving as his copyist and soon became the hornist that Wagner trusted and relied upon for advice (this is well documented -- Ludwig Karpath's published edition of Wagner's letters to Richter includes 170 pages worth of them, the salutations beginning in 1868 with "Mein guter Richter!" and ending in 1883 with "Lieber guter Freund Hans!"). Richter also performed the Call for Wagner for the very first time. Certainly the music could be played on any F horn, or any B flat horn for that matter. But anyone who's heard Roland Berger's recording will appreciate the distinctive sound that Wagner had in his ear at the time with more accuracy than a recording done on "any single F- horn" could provide.

Perhaps you can spare us the loudly capitalized negatives until after you've checked your sources. A courteous exchange of ideas is not just more pleasant, it also highlights the actual information given rather than the person behind it.

maybe someone ... might be aware of the existence of an original Suessmayr concerto or have conclusive evidence that there is no such piece.

Peter, Kloecker may have meant Suessmayr's Allegro/Sonata Movement in E flat for Horn and Piano that was first published (and completed) by Herman Jeurissen in 1997 (Hofheim & Leipzig: Friedrich Hofmeister).

Bill Melton
Hauset (B) / Sinfonie Orchester Aachen