From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Nielsen Dalley
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 9:00 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Re:Quick changing crooks

No pun intended. When I had the chance to play hand horn in
a similar situation I taped two crooks (slides) together
using a spacer of cardboard with one slide right side up and
the other slide right side down. Then I could pull the
slide, turn it end for end and insert the other one in a few
seconds. On my orchestral hand horn with basic b flat alto
pitch, The slide tubes were long enough to pull the slide to
reach a half step lower in the high pitches (b flat to A).
With a horn with terminal crooks I was playing often with
the terminal crook and one or two couplers in place. So the
chance consisted mostly of removing the terminal crook and
then adding or removing the correct couplers, which for
expediency would be hanging on my left arm. It was noisy
when you had two on your arm so they had hankerchifs taped
around them. Harriet & Nielsen Dalley