Hans, we both like to take an intellectual wrestling.

I happen to agree with you in your evaluations of when an assistant 1st horn is
needed, unless you
are dealing with madmen players like myself, who would play horn as well as
bass trombone at the
same concert, because the low strings could not get their intonation right in a
certain piece in
an undermanned orchestra.

But one composer, which we both hold in high respect, not only because of his
extremely wise and
musical usage of the horn, actually used sort of a “reverse” bumper horn.

I can’t find all of my Eulenburg scores, and I hardly would be able to read
them anyway, so this
is out of old memory.

WAM is the shorthand term I often use. Wolfgang Gottlieb Mozart would be an
alternative in his
mother tongue.

As I remember the horn concerto scores, which are neither in D nor being the
KV447, their
orchestral winds are 2 oboes and 2 horns.

I also seem to remember, that WAM at least in the opening tuttis lets the solo
horn join the
orchestral 1st horn.

I don’t know about the string body size of the premieres of the Eb concertos
(Mozart never heard
the D major concerto, which is not his first, but his last, completed by
Süssmayer – having a
distinct non-WAM instrumentation error, where the 1st violins play in unisono
with the solo horn –
something, which NEVER happens in the Eb concertos).

But I know, that Don Juan was premiered in Praha with only 3 primos and only 4
secundos as for
violins. I happen to doubt, that Leutgeb was backed by a much fatter string
body, when he
premiered any of the concertos.

The orchestral horn parts of the said two concertos are manageable in respects
of playability and
stamina.

Why did WAM let the soloist join the 1st Tuttist just to use a German
terminology. (The father of
a German friend was leader in the Karl-Marx-Stadt/Chemnitz orchestra, before he
became a Tuttist
in the Gewandhaus/Thomanerkirche/opera&ballet of Leipzig).

For matters of noise levels? Hardly!

I rather believe, that he wanted the scintillating fullness of two narrow bore
horns playing
almost in tune on their unisono lines.

Today one can hear full sections playing totally in tune on large unisonos, so
doubling is not
necessary with the fat modern horns. But perfect unisonos were not a given
matter as lately as in
1975. No names disclosed.

My eyes are getting tired, so I will stop this rant.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre