Hans, We agree they were not verbose

I said "Leinsdorf, Solti and Guilini none of which in my experience in
rehearsal were colorful or verbose." I used the word NONE.

I used them as an example and purposefully excluded Bernstein because I took
your initial remarks

Which were;

Vocables as
"lovely, blooming, heroic, thundering, not audible but
noticeable, fanatic, fantastic, full of love, glooming like
rock coal, poisonous, destructing, like clouds before
hailstorms, radiating sunny, heating up like a hord of huns,
icy, sound of glass, static, desperately sad, full of
heavenly joy, etc." - these would be the words we musicians
would understand & interpret the right way.

To mean verbose. That was a mistake which I now see from your response.

What they say is important without doubt but great conductors are passionate
but to the point they can say the same thing 100 different ways to get the
sound or effect they want (also an attribute of a great teacher).

But no matter how great a conductor without an orchestra to conduct we have
no music and I will reiterate that great conductors have an unspoken respect
that goes both ways.

Debbie