If you read what´s written about Selmer-Conn-Steinway, you
would not hope to be on theit team sometimes, as they seem
to be on the outsourcing trip.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Adam Watts
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:13 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Music Physics

    Seeing as the board lacks traffic at the moment, I
thought it may be more prudent to ask this slightly odd
question now. I am a freshman physics student at UIUC, and I
am working with an adviser to create an option for my major
(Engineering Physics) in Acoustics. My ultimate goal is to
use physics in the realm of the French Horn, either by
working in a design team for a company like Conn-Selmer, or
in a private shop designing mouthpieces, or something
similar; I used to make my own mouthpieces in my high
school's metal shop, and it fascinated me.
However, I'm not too sure what classes I should look for, or
to whom I should speak about entering this sort of field. I
am currently in a Physics of Music class, and am preparing
to do a research project on the horn (the link to which I'll
post here if anyone is interested), and am currently reading
Backus' /The Acoustical Foundations of Music/ and Benade's
/Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics/. Does anyone on this
list have any suggestions as to people I should contact for
advice/information, internship opportunities in the
Champaign IL area, career possibilities, books to read, or
anything I would find useful? I would greatly appreciate any
advice.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Watts