Hi Hans,

I agree with you 100%. It's the player who makes the sound, hits the notes,
plays in tune, and, most important, plays with intelligence, subtlety,
beauty, and taste.

However, given the above, every player ought to try to play on the best
(most suitable, most reliable, most able to realize the player's intentions)
instrument he can obtain. And, that instrument needs to be in the best
condition possible.

How many performances have you heard that have been marred by clacking
valves or chipped notes caused by a performer trying to attack a note that
is far out of tune on his instrument? Correcting these deficiencies in no
way relieves the player from responsibility for his performance.

Cryogenic treatment is one more technique used to improve instruments. We
have done this process to several hundred instruments over the years and
have had during that time one customer who thought nothing had been done and
one who thought it made his horn worse. A pretty good track record, I think.
If the difference it makes is subtle, well, this is a business of subtlety.
As for the reports of physicists (who also tell us that the material of
which a horn is made has no influence on the sound), and Selmer's test to
see if high school players and amateurs could tell the difference, I have to
give equal weight to the many world-class players who have found a positive
improvement. I find that most of the critiques of cryogenic processing come
from people with no experience with it.

Regards,

Bob Osmun
www.osmun.com