From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Edwin Glick
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:53 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Re: It's not over yet!

I can't positively answer that question, but in the winter
of 1946, I studied with Dennis Brain at the Guildhall School
of Music and Drama in London as part of the Army's postwar
education program. You're right, Howard, his horn was
exactly as you described it. I doubt that, at that time, he
played anything on a B-flat horn (or with a B-flat crook),
however, because one of the first things he asked me to do
at my first lesson, was to play only on the F side. (At that
time, my horn was an army-issue Conn, probably a 6D). It
wasn't until I returned to Boston in June 1946, and resumed
studies with my first horn teacher, Max Shapiro (father of
the Boston Symphony's Harry Shapiro), that I went back to
using the full double horn.

Ed Glick

>>> Howard Sanner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/24/2006
11:44 PM

wieder hat Hans Pizka geschrieben:

> For which horn did Britten write the Serenade, what horn
had he in
> mind ? (excluding Prologue & Epilogue)

    This is more interesting than it first seems. It is well
known that the work was written for Dennis Brain, and that
before ca.
1950 Brain played a Raoux, which was essentially a cor solo
with a valve section added. Originally Brain's Raoux was
crooked in F, but later he had it modified to B-flat alto.

    Here's the interesting part: The last note of Hymn is a
written F an octave and a fifth below middle C. In the first
recording, by Brain, Pears, and Britten, this note is
wonderfully sonorous and well in tune, too much so to be 123
lipped down and covered. So did Brain play this song on a
B-flat horn? What about the others?
And what about the prologue and epilogue? B-flat alto  13?
I've always wondered that.

    Probably no one is left who knows the answer for sure.

                Howard Sanner
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]