From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of matthew scheffelman
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:41 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Britten Serenade with Piano

The Britten Serenade with piano is fine when it is done with
a master pianist. Of course it is not ideal, but it works
well, sounds full enough to be effective and is very good
music. By the way, in a recital setting, it matches well
with some other Ben Britten works, tenor, horn and piano.
A dogmatic approach like I have heard ( "should not be done
with piano") only leads to dogmatic playing and repertoire
one might miss.

Lets hold out for some real issues to completely say no to,
rather than leaving out concertos, and rep.
such as the Serenade. If my student falls in love with the
Britten, why would I not be a vehicle for them to perform
it? If the student fails to gather the proper forces(
strings), it is my duty to help them make the best possible
performance with piano...

Matthew Scheffelman
Horn Professor, CSU, Fort Collins