Hello Steve, you know what we did back in the 1950ies ? We
had no other copy machine than hand & a pen & music paper.
So we copied the pieces by hand including the piano part &
necessary transpositions. We also transposed full piano
parts. Work began very slow but grow to a full page per hour
or more than one full page (piano plus solo). The quality of
writing music grow better from day to day. And:  we gained a
lot from writing a piece by hand. We got it into our brain &
it is still stored there. So in total, we saved a lot of
time as we combined the necessary with the practical. We got
a real picture of the piece before we even began to play the
first note of it. Quite a forgotten method, seen as
oldfashioned & obsolete. Dont laugh, folks, it works much
much better than all modern methods.

There is just one difficulty, where to find the right music
paper ??? Mozart himself had a solution. He used a five-fold
pencil & made the music paper by himself when the right one
was not at hand.

Most of us are used to get all for sale, all over the
internet. How long do we have the internet, really working,
ten to 15 years. How slow was it then & how expensive ? Now
all is very cheap, so we use it. Dont we miss something by
this abuse ? Yes, we do. We are becoming more & more lazy
regarding using our own brain capacities to solve problems.
I receive a lot of request to provide students with certain
articles as they are writing a thesis or similar. I point
them to libraries & literature I had used, but not to
articles they just change here & there & "sell" them as
their own creations to their (often very stupid &
uninformed) professors, who often lack a great deal of basic
informations. Would you believe it, there is a full time
Hochschule professor for horn, who never ever worked in an
orchestra. He got his job to teach future professionals. But
I might ask in all modesty, how he could prepare the young
future colleagues for their job ?? Never exposed to the task
of playing in the orchestra ? Etcetcetc. The results can be
heard during the auditions. A never ending story.

And I wonder about the advice coming from half amateurs,
about very very special tasks they never have been exposed
too or tasks they know just from hear-say. Very funny. Would
any of you give advice to a rope-dancer ? Surely not. But
why not, as you do the same in basic: just walking forward &
back. You dont like the comparison, but I like it as it is
exactly the same what several of you do when giving advice
how to solve a task you never experienced yourself.

Load your guns & shoot at me. I have nothing to lose - 70
days more until retirement, ending 40 years in a world class
orchestra with playing Richard Wagners long 3 act opera
Parsifal on first chair - after total 50 years as first horn
(professional) - , having experienced all highs & lows of
the professional life & found a solution all the time,
having seen the whole world except very very few "white
places on the map", except Africa. But the fighter character
still remains, believe me, it is one of the necessary
requisites for a first horn.

And, remember, having learned from Siegfried, I bathed in
the dragons blood and there was no lime-tree leaf on my back
to create a weak point in my panzer for HagenĀ“s spear