I have enjoyed reading all the wise advice on transposition, and I certainly agree that understanding the system is of prime importance. What do you recommend for atonal music that does not follow a key-based system? Is it best to notate these horn parts as though they were in F (written a fifth higher than sounding)? Or would players, in this case, prefer an untransposed part showing the actual concert pitches? I have always written such parts in F, but I am prepared to change. What is the common wisdom here?

By the way, the allegro movement of my horn and orchestra piece (concert on Feb. 4) is in D major, and I originally notated the solo part for horn in D. Later, on the advice of a professional horn player, I rewrote the part for horn in F.
David Lamb in Seattle