Hello, yes the Schmid speaks very easily, too easily, nearly
without any resistance. But how about playing piano or
pianissimo, when you need a certain resistance. But they are
beautiful horns - to look at - but also when played by the
right player.##

If you are afraid, the horn might be damaged (this even
happen with the best care - I got just a little ding of 5
mms, because a coin fell from the stage, but hit the
instrument on a place where the ding cannot be seen - I use
this instrument since ten years for most of my services in
the opera, but it looks like new. Well, I never leave it in
the pits as do my colleagues. I put it in my shrank during
the breakes & when I walk, I hold it infront of me, bell
pointing to my left shoulder, wrapping the horn with my left
arm as to protect it.)

Get the horn stolen ? It is up to you, never leaving the
horn unattended at no time. Lock it in, when you have other
things to do. If you drive, put it in the trunk except you
drive home directly with no stop at nowhere. If intruder get
it from your home, your home insurance (hope you have one)
will cover it. Best, ask your agent, if you have to declare
it before.

Airtravel damage ??? Insist to get it on board as
handluggage (important & most fragile musical instrument you
need for next days performance etc. blah-blah).

Fire in the school ? Leave all there except the horn, no
matter what the orders are.

Savings ? Put 50.- $ aside every month, to cover necessary
repairs of accidents (hopefully never happen). This is
cheaper than insurance. Precaution is also cheaper than
repair. A bit of discipline helps.