At 02:33 PM 2/3/2007 -0800, you wrote:
Sorry for the double post. I am in desperate need of information. I have proposed a recital program to my department for my senior recital, which is about a year from now. They are starting to make a requirement that our recitals must be memorized, and so I have to petition to not memorize something. Here is the proposed program:

  sacred piece (less than 5 minutes, memorized)
Mozart horn quintet (15-20 minutes, no repeats except in last movement, not memorized)
  Franz Strauss nocturne (5-6 minutes, memorized)
  Hindemith horn sonata (15-20 minutes, not memorized)

The area where the friction lies is the Hindemith. My teacher does not want me to memorize it, but 2 of the 3 people making the decision want me to. One of the professors (who is not a horn player) claimed that the Hindemith is easy to memorize, and is not a hard piece. I have already informed the department that I won't play it unless I don't have to memorize it. I am also only a music education major, not a performance major. So my questions are as follows: Is this a legitimate college-level (music education) program? Should I be required to memorize this piece? Does anyone have any suggestions for a 20th century piece that would be easy to memorize? If the people responding to this can also supply their credentials in their responses, that would be helpful. Thanks.

As a former college student, college administrator, and someone who has performed recitals,
let me offer my opinion and some suggestions:

First, what are the requirements for your recital as spelled out in the college's course catalog in effect the year you began your program of study? Seems to me the requirements, including memorization of pieces, should be spelled out there. (If you didn't know, the course catalog in effect the year you began your program of study is essentially a contract stating your requirements for completing your program, and any later changes to these requirements cannot be enforced upon you. Check with the college's Registrar for the statement of your required credits plus check the college library for a copy of that catalog.) I remember from my undergrad days that the MusEd majors were required to perform one piece from memory, while the Performance
majors were not.  However, we did 2 recitals to their 1.

Second, why are *you* arguing with the committee when your teacher is "releasing" you from this requirement? Why isn't he/she speaking to them on your behalf and why isn't he/she being given the final say in your required program? Talk to your teacher, then talk to the department head one-on-one. Giving departments an ultimatum never works. When you back them into a corner they usually come out fighting, and between you, me, and the door, you will not win. Ask for help, don't
go in demanding.

Third, ask why you are being required so much memorization. You already have 2 pieces, the Strauss will not be easy, so why do they insist on Hindemith? Ask for an explanation. Might be they are looking at length of piece vs number of pieces. Carry a copy of the Hindemith with you so it can be reviewed by all. Do not go into this meeting alone. Again, where is your teacher and why is he/she not speaking
on your behalf.

Fourth, accept the final decision and move on. No one ever said you will get everything you want in life. You will graduate, you will get past this, and you will vow to never make your own students go through it. Step up to the challenge. If there is a problem, you will not be the first person who has had a memory slip mid-way through a piece, and you will certainly not be the most famous performer who has ever done this. Learn to handle adversity in a concert with grace and aplomb, a much harder
experience to overcome.

Margaret

(okay, credentials. BM/Peformance, Boston Conservatory. Worked there for 6 years, then at MIT for 3, then at Worcester Polytechnic Institute for 4 before becoming an independent consultant. Yes, I
still play, but I am not gigging.  Just playing.)

Margaret F. Dikel
Horn / Librarian / Webmaster
JCC Symphony Orchestra
11218 Ashley Drive