Margaret, why did you say "the Strauss will not be easy" ???
It is easy to remember & it is a quite easy piece with no
special difficulties except the final very very relaxed
written long held piano-pianissimo ab-g-ab-g - ab-g-ab-g -
ab - ab -----. Well, it is a bit tiring & full of romantic
emotion. Otherwise you had good arguments how to deal with
the recital requirements.

Well, one thing comes to mind, when reading such
requirements set up by a school, not by a high grade
academy. They seem to frustrate a lot of young talents, so
no wonder these fail at real auditions as young
professionals. I give the gauntlet to the teachers, as they
cowardly cannot or will not oppose such stupid & useless
regulations set up by ignorant failed province soloists, who
did not make it into the professional orchestra world &
worse the administrators.

.... Third, ask why you are being required so much
memorization.  You already have 2 pieces, the Strauss will
not be easy, so why do they insist on Hindemith?  Ask for an
explanation.  Might be they are looking at length of piece
vs number of pieces.  Carry a copy of the Hindemith with you
so it can be reviewed by all.  Do not go into this meeting
alone.  Again, where is your teacher and why is he/she not
speaking on your behalf.

Fourth, accept the final decision and move on.  No one ever
said you will get everything you want in life.  You will
graduate, you will get past this, and you will vow to never
make your own students go through it.  Step up to the
challenge.  If there is a problem, you will not be the first
person who has had a memory slip mid-way through a piece,
and you will certainly not be the most famous performer who
has ever done this.  Learn to handle adversity in a concert
with grace and aplomb, a much harder experience to overcome.

Margaret

(okay, credentials.  BM/Peformance, Boston Conservatory.
Worked there for 6 years, then at MIT for 3, then at
Worcester Polytechnic Institute for 4 before becoming an
independent consultant. Yes, I still play, but I am not
gigging.  Just playing.)

Margaret F. Dikel
Horn / Librarian / Webmaster
JCC Symphony Orchestra