Normal fractional drill bits often are sized every 1/32". Bore sizes correspond to numbered drill bits, and the difference between numbers is usually only a couple of thousandths. A number 3 bore is 0.213", and number 12 bore is 0.196". There are ten number drills covering a range that, at best, includes only two fractional drills.

If you go to Harborfreight.com, you can buy a complete set of numbered drill bits, on sale, for $12.99. The bits are M-2 steel and are TiN coated. Only change the bore one number size at a time. At the very least, use a drill press. If possible, set it up so the mouthpiece spins, and the drill bit is clamped and stationary. Remember, you can easily drill it bigger, but you can't drill it smaller.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Yamaha mouthpieces

I've had a couple horn professors tell me to drill a mouthpiece to a larger bore myself. I even did it to a $100 mouthpiece on a suggestion by a well respected horn professor ( you all know him ). Just fit the drill bits through the bore until you find the one with the tightest fit. Then go one bigger and drill away. Don't worry about centering too much it kind of self centers as long as you make an effort to drill straight. Since the yamaha mouthpiece is
cheap and easy to come buy, it might be worth a shot.

-James