Greetings,
In the preparation for my first performance of the
just the solo Interstellar Call, I felt guilty and
struggled with the decision to perform it out of
context. My first teacher, Glen Swarts, was considered
by Messiaen to be the best interpreter of the Call in
context. So, I asked Glen about it and he felt it was
a difficult decision, but ultimately I had to make the
choice. In rehearsal in the concert hall, I found the
work to be very effective and I went ahead with the
performance. I did give a short speech before I
played. People commented they liked my explanations to
help with their imagination before I played. I did not
have to prepare much for the explanation due to my
experience with Southern Utah and Zion.

I can understand Messiaen's reasoning for wanting it
performed in context.  But, after performing it many
times out of context, I find it stands on its own very
well and is stunningly effective. While I would dream
of playing it with full orchestra, the chances for
pieces like that are few and far between. I think it
is more of a reason to be exposed to the piece out of
context.

In my opinion I have not heard any solo horn pieces
that can even sniff the Interstellar Call. I think it
is a great competition piece.

Buy the score, it is worth every penny. 50USD for one
part is worth it. I have yet to be able to afford it,
but at some point I want to own it. I have looked
through the score and it is great.

Matthew Scheffelman