Thanks, Carlisle, for your comments. For the first 10 months I owned my horn, that is EXACTLY how I oiled it. It still got gummy between cleanings. May be it's something about the Holton? I dunno. Or maybe pulling valve slides out & shoving them back in over & over again actually pushes slide grease closer & closer to the valves? When I did oil it the other way, I sure needed a lot more grease as it disappeared somewhere in my horn. All I know is that my valves work so much better since I stopped oiling them through the slides.

Here's a cleaning tip: I stitched strips of soft cotton cloth into little "sleeves" about 6 or 7 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. This little sleeve fits nicely over the eraser end of a pencil for cleaning out the inside of narrow tubing. I can dig out more nasty stuff using this little sleeve on a pencil because it can go deeper than a wadded cloth alone. I've been intending to make a little sleeve to cover the end of my snake brush as I'd rather have soft cotton coming in contact with the insides of my horn than a scratchy brush. But, that's a project for another day.

Valerie, Balanced Embouchure Student