There should not ever be 'gunk' coming out of a horn....never ever.  If that
happens then:
1) proper oral hygiene habits are not followed prior to playing.
2) too much (excess) slide grease is being used in combo with over oiling.

Always brush teeth after eating prior to playing the horn.  Beer and whiskey
rinse won't cut it-well maybe cut the grease but not the buildup :^O   Snake
the mouthpipe regularly, perhaps weekly (or sooner if you absolutely have to
play without washing the mouth first).  Give the occasional deep cleaning
with warm soapy water.  Empty water completely before putting in the case
(remember the horn will generate condensation until it reaches room temp so
don't keep blowing air through it right up until storage).  Some people are
more naturally acidic than others and must therefore be even more vigilant
and diligent.

If it takes more than a light coating of grease to make slides work then
there are other fit & finish issues such as tube misalignment or buildup on
the slide legs themselves or already extant corrosion on the slide
tubes/legs.  I won't argue with anyone that puts oil in the slides
themselves because that works (provided the grease is not in excess) but
what works for me is a very long needle oiler and I put one (1) drop of oil
on the rotor face from each slide tube.  More than that should be
un-necessary unless one is flushing the valve.

Snaking the whole horn on a regular basis should not be necessary if the
above is followed.  Of course if there is significant buildup right now it
may require an ultra sonic cleaning to get a good fresh starting point.

The Jack Attack!