From: John Dutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: horn@music.memphis.edu; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:20:15 PM
Subject: re: [Hornlist] What makes Conns desirable?

[quote] Can anyone tell me what makes the tone of the Conn so nice? [/quote]

Well, since no one else is actually answering your question...

The 8D "sound" is made up of the particular nickel alloy, the tapers of the
mouthpipe, 1st branch and bell tail/flare, and thickness of the flare.  The
basic design of the 8d is from (circa 1937) Arthur Berv's Kruspe-Horner
model with modification of the mouthpipe (some say to a CF Schmidt style
pipe) and no doubt other slight design differences.  First production 8D was
circa 1938-moved to Abilene TX in1972-moved to current location in Eastlake
OH 1988ish.

*In the most **generalized** fashion* of description:
1. The mouthpipe affects the intonation and slotting and focus of the tone.
2. The bell and first branch affect the carrying power and tonal
characteristics of the sound.
3. Type of metal can alter either of the above to a greater or lesser
extent.  Given ***identical*** parts the color of sound would progress dark
to light: sterling silver-rose brass-yellow brass-nickel silver (sometimes
referred to as German silver).  Some mix and match materials ie a rose brass
mouthpipe with a yellow brass corpus and nickel bell.

P.N. could probably give a better description if he chimes in.

---

One of the most important things one needs to accept about horn shopping is
that the sound up close is not the sound the audience hears.  Test drive a
horn with TRUSTED ears listening in a performance venue.  Now swap so you
can hear the horn too from the back of the hall.  People often make poor
choices based upon the up-close sound they perceive.  Don't misunderstand
me, the horn should sound good up close too but that is definitely not an
indication of how the sound develops and blooms in a hall.  Don't deceive
yourself.

The Jack Attack!