I have a 10D that I bought in 1997. For a production
horn, it's pretty darn good, and for those of us that
can't afford to drop $7000-10,000 on a custom horn,
it's a great compromise if you're looking for a
Geyer-type horn. The only thing I need to do with it
is change the leadpipe, for the usual reasons that
players change leadpipes.

I played an 8D forever before I got to Northwestern
for my graduate work. I was able to play some other
horns (Lewis, Yamaha customs, etc), and realized that
I was working way too hard playing an 8D. I was able
to pick up a 10D for a song, so I did.

John's point about getting someone else to listen to
you from out in the hall is very important. If you are
judging your sound from playing in band rooms or other
places that are not accoustically suited for music,
you're fooling yourself into thinking that things are
worse than they really are. I made that mistake last
fall; telling John "dude, this horn, man, I gotta
change it, it sounds horrible, blah blah blah..." and
he told me "no, you need to have someone else listen
to you in a real hall." Once I got into a good hall,
the horn blossomed with all sorts of colors that I
didn't know were possible (I bought the 10D when I was
in the Marines, and we didn't play in a lot of nice
places).

Perhaps the popularity of Conn is due to them
virtually cornering the market many years ago? There's
just a damn lot of them out there, and at the time
there weren't that many different horns to choose
from. I don't know. I just like my 10D.

Gary

Get Firefox!!http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html