A very interesting topic.

Last night I performed the Gounod Petite Symphonie. I chose to let my second horn player play first part for the last two movements. In some rehearsals we did not change seats (I stayed on the left) but when we did switch, it suddenly seemed easier to tune and balance. In the performance we did switch seats. I suspect my comfort with sitting left to right is more based on what I have gotten used to over the years.

It is my understanding that the principal sets the volume level that the others balance to, but we also know that good intonation comes from listening down to the bottom voices. I admit it is sometimes difficult to hear what exactly is going on at the other end of the section.

It reminds me: We had a favorite exercise in HS band where we would sit in one large circle facing the center. You were not allowed to sit near anyone from your section. It was not practical in some ways, but it did a lot to illustrate things that we had been blind to.

It takes a little getting used to, but I have had positive experiences with "riding the bus" or "family car." (2 rows, 2x2). When the horn section from our local symphony gave a quartet recital last year, they sat this way. But I think I would still prefer to face my friends in chamber music when there is no conductor.

Steve